News
Daniel
Site Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Marcy

English vs. German // Deutsch vs. Englisch

Post by Daniel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi there!

[deutsch weiter unten]

What do you think about the problem with our "main languages" (English & German) in our forum?
At the moment we have a category for each language - but sometimes there are interesting threads in only one language.

E.g. The "das große Bundy Quiz" (the big bundy quiz) thread in the German category. I think it would also be great fun for english speaking people to get involved.
So how can we solve that problem.

One suggestion from me:
Rename the English category (have no name for it yet) - and leave the German one untouched.
Put a sticky in the German that - if possible - the post should be made in the other category so that everybody can read it.

Most persons who speak German also can English (but not all !).

It's is an overall problem I've to take care of. Therefor the homepage is also in two languages as well as some posts in the blog.

What do you think ?

------ Deutsch ------------------

Wie findet ihr die Aufteilung von der deutschen und englischen Kategorie.
Jetzt haben wir das Problem, dass es oft Threads nur in Deutsch gibt welche aber auch nicht deutschsprechende User sicherlich interessieren würde (zb. das große Bundy Quiz).

Die meisten deutschsprachigen User hier können auch englisch - aber eben nicht alle.

Eine Idee wäre, die Englisch Kategorie umzubenennen (Namen habe ich noch keinen) und die Deutsche zu lassen.
In der allerdings einen Hinweis anbringen, dass man wenn möglich das Thema in englisch erstellen solle.

Wie seht ihr die Sache?

Daniel
Site Admin

Re: English vs. German // Deutsch vs. Englisch

Post by Daniel » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:21 am

Has nobody to say anything to that topic?

ARMAN
No Maam Member

Post by ARMAN » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 am

I dont know I understand abou 20% of german reading text. Every now and then I look in german threads but dont get much of it anyway :D I'd leave it as it is now imo, everyone can brouse in german or english section

Dr. Shoe
Happy to be a No Ma'am Member
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:13 am

I don't know what is more difficult for me German or computerspeak. I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. What the heck is a "sticky?" I'll say this, yes I'd sure like to know what's going on with the German speakers. If somebody would be kind enough to let us English speakers know what is going on in the other threads or translate a bit of I'd sure like to read it since the Germans are the superfans and all. And I just noticed that an Ed O'Neill is posting on the German page. Don't tell me you've got castmembers posting over there and I haven't been in on the action!

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:05 am

Dr. Trumaine wrote:I don't know what is more difficult for me German or computerspeak. I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. What the heck is a "sticky?" I'll say this, yes I'd sure like to know what's going on with the German speakers. If somebody would be kind enough to let us English speakers know what is going on in the other threads or translate a bit of I'd sure like to read it since the Germans are the superfans and all. And I just noticed that an Ed O'Neill is posting on the German page. Don't tell me you've got castmembers posting over there and I haven't been in on the action!
a) a sticky is a posting that always stays on top the page
b) no, Ed O'Neill is not who you think :) - but maybe we should reserve those names if the real persons will join us one day...

The overall thing it goes about here, is that I'm not sure if the division into two language parts is the right strategy.
I mean the big losers are users who can't read German since most of the German users can speak English.

rdo3
Bob Rooney

Post by rdo3 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:09 am

it's ok doc. we have a translator, used to go by the name admin or something like that ;). and ed was a history teacher and jock. i doubt he knows german. if he was required to learn a forgien language for his degree i would suspect it's ironically french.

Shoe Dick
Asst. Admin
Your favorite MWC Character: Al Bundy

Post by Shoe Dick » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:20 pm

I'd love to know what's up with the German board since it's quite active as well (maybe even more active than the english section). I know some German but not good enough to read a topic and get everything, same goes for replying.

R.I.P. Ron Leavitt
1947-2008

Check out my Married... With Children collection and read about my meeting with David Faustino: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3398

Dr. Shoe
Your favorite MWC Character: I've got to say Kelly lately....and not just cause she's hot.

Post by Dr. Shoe » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:
Dr. Trumaine wrote:I don't know what is more difficult for me German or computerspeak. I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing. What the heck is a "sticky?" I'll say this, yes I'd sure like to know what's going on with the German speakers. If somebody would be kind enough to let us English speakers know what is going on in the other threads or translate a bit of I'd sure like to read it since the Germans are the superfans and all. And I just noticed that an Ed O'Neill is posting on the German page. Don't tell me you've got castmembers posting over there and I haven't been in on the action!
b) no, Ed O'Neill is not who you think :) - but maybe we should reserve those names if the real persons will join us one day...

The overall thing it goes about here, is that I'm not sure if the division into two language parts is the right strategy.
I mean the big losers are users who can't read German since most of the German users can speak English.
It sounds like you are saying you might consider eliminating the German section altogether so as to keep the posts in English? Well, I guess the question is just what percentage of German speakers speak English? When you say "most" do your mean like 95% or something? What are the German speakers saying about this?

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Dr. Trumaine wrote:
Daniel (f.k.a. admin) wrote:

It sounds like you are saying you might consider eliminating the German section altogether so as to keep the posts in English? Well, I guess the question is just what percentage of German speakers speak English? When you say "most" do your mean like 95% or something? What are the German speakers saying about this?
When I say most I think I'd speak about something like 95% of the users, yes indeed.

But on the other hand there are a lot of users from Germany/Austria/Switzerland and of course they do their "very first search" when they are looking for something in German.
And to be honest - most fansites are in German (at least hostet Europe) since we are more die hard fans :o) (or maybe we just have more time, or more web-knowledge,...)

rdo3
Bob Rooney

Post by rdo3 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:29 pm

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/11/add- ... bsite.html have a look at that dan. evidently you can imbed babelfish or google translate into your html and have flag bottons that will translate the page into the language of what ever flag is clicked. then any language can read any board. and marcy rhoads, dosn't seem to be able to speak english. i think she is your most prolific poster right now. you dont want to loose you non english speakers either.

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 pm

rdo3 wrote:http://labnol.blogspot.com/2005/11/add- ... bsite.html have a look at that dan. evidently you can imbed babelfish or google translate into your html and have flag bottons that will translate the page into the language of what ever flag is clicked. then any language can read any board. and marcy rhoads, dosn't seem to be able to speak english. i think she is your most prolific poster right now. you dont want to loose you non english speakers either.

Great idea!
Done!
Find the two translation flags on the top right side of the page!
Just click on the flag and the page get's translated (in a new window).

rdo3
Bob Rooney

Post by rdo3 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:12 pm

that was fast. hope it wasn't too much trouble for you and thanks.

Dr. Shoe

Post by Dr. Shoe » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:02 am

Wow! Can I get a WhooooAAAA Rdo3!

Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:39 pm

OK, so we keep everything as it is.

So don't be afraid to post something into the German section as well!

rdo3
Bob Rooney

Post by rdo3 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:54 pm

good job dan, you can actually signin and post from the translated window. i was never able to do that before, i had to keep switching between windows.